About the program
In October 2009, Electronic Health Solutions (EHS) launched its flagship program, Hakeem, the first national initiative of its kind, to automate the public healthcare sector in Jordan, under the patronage of His Majesty King Abdullah II Bin Al Hussein. The program aims to facilitate efficient, high-quality healthcare in the Kingdom through the nationwide implementation of an Electronic Health Record solution (EHR). In effect, physicians, pharmacists, medical technologists, and other clinicians are able to electronically access medical records of patients within participating health facilities in Jordan simply by entering the patient’s national ID number.
The types of electronic medical information clinicians may access include but are not limited to, the following: Comprehensive medical and surgical history, physical examinations, procedural and surgical reports, current medications, allergies as well as in-patient and out-patient clinic visit notes. In addition, it will provide online access to lab results, digital radiological exams, electrocardiograms (ECGs), endoscopic biopsies, eye exams, and videos of echocardiograms and angiograms.
EHS has adopted VistA system in its strategy to implement Hakeem program in automating the public health care sector in Jordan, VistA is an enterprise-wide information system used throughout the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical system.
Benefits of Hakeem program
For the patient
- Hakeem program concentrates on preventive healthcare for the patient through many features such as clinical reminders for better management of chronic diseases as well as early detection of illnesses which on the other hand decreases death rates.
- Create and sustain a patient-centric health record that can be accessed from any automated institute in the public sector across the Kingdom at any time.
- Patient safety is a priority to Hakeem program where it provides information that allows healthcare providers to examine their patients' electronic health records using their national identification number, these records include:
- Current medications, possible allergies, and drug-drug interaction alert to avoid giving the wrong medications.
- Medical and surgical history including comprehensive procedural and surgical reports.
- Progress notes taken during the patient visits.
- Electronic access to the patient’s lab results and x-rays.
- Improving the patient's experience during receiving healthcare services through:
- Optimizing workflows, enhancing process mapping, and enabling a platform for continuous process improvement in healthcare.
- Reduce the need to visit specialty centers through a patient health information exchange platform that allows doctors to access the patient's electronic health record remotely thus evaluate and diagnose cases with ease.
- Enhance the quality of healthcare and ensure patient safety and privacy.
For the healthcare facility
- Elevate healthcare facilities standards to meet international standards.
- Reduction of operational costs in health institutes which will reduce the overall healthcare cost as well as enhance the level of service provided through:
- Reduction of waste of medications distributed in the country and lower duplication in ordering medications.
- Elimination of x-ray prints and x-ray waste and lower patient/doctor exposure to x-rays as well as improve the resolution of x-ray images and ability in zooming in and out, thus easing the life of patients and doctors alike.
- Lowering of costs of laboratory tests and lower duplication in lab tests orders.
- Through the provision of preventive healthcare patients are treated more in out-patient clinics than being admitted to hospitals, therefore, reducing the overall cost of patient care.
- Patient workflow optimization through automating different procedures such as appointments, Pharmacy, Radiology, and Lab.
- Creation of a comprehensive database of patients that will be made available to authorized researchers for use in scientific studies, in addition, to support decision-makers in setting health strategies and policies aiming solely at improving healthcare delivery in Jordan.
- Hakeem program builds and provides instant and periodic reports that support better decision-making.
- Develop and install hardware and network infrastructure in healthcare facilities implementing the Hakeem program.
- Healthcare facilities will thus become more efficient and provide a better patient experience, which will also enhance Jordan’s position as a destination for medical tourism.
- Limiting mistakes among health and administration professionals.
- Creation of hundreds of job opportunities nationwide for qualified Jordanians with expertise in the fields of health informatics and information technology.